First Posted: 1/15/2009
Driver was older brother
FAIRMONT -- Helpless onlookers watched in horror on Tuesday as a 12-year-old boy drove a pickup truck that struck and killed his 2-year-old brother.
Sheriff's Lt. Ken Sealey said Logan Charles Williams, of 3273 Fire Tower Road, in Proctorville, was killed about 1 p.m. in the accident that happened at Camp Grace at 145 Grace Drive. Bobby Williams, the father of the two boys involved, directs Camp Grace, a week-long Christian summer camp.
According to a sheriff's report, Bobby Williams told Dustin to collect trash cans from various cottages at the camp, Sealey said. Scott Carpenter, an 18-year-old boy, helped Dustin collect the trash cans and place them on the truck.
But, Sealey said, it was the 12-year-old who drove the truck and not Carpenter, who got in the passenger's seat.
Sealey said that Dustin put the 2000 Dodge RAM pickup truck into reverse and backed it over Logan. Several people witnessed the accident as it happened in the parking lot next to the camp's chapel.
Sealey said the incident is still under investigation, and no one has been charged. North Carolina law does not require a person to have a driver's license to drive a vehicle on private property.
Tommy Swett is vice chairman of Children's Bible Ministry, which sponsors the camp. He said Logan had been playing in a baby pool before the accident and apparently followed his older brother as Dustin went to collect the trash cans.
The staff at the ministry has called a meeting to re-evaluate safety at the camp, Swett said.
“We're going to do all that needs to be done to ensure that it is safe for everyone at the camp,” Swett said.
Swett said the camp's staff is looking into moving the parking lot area away from the buildings. The ministry is also looking into establishing a policy that states no one without a driver's license can drive a vehicle on ministry grounds, Swett said.
“It's just so tragic,” Swett said. “He was just an unusual kid, he was always smiling and had such a shining personality. He was the camp's baby.”
Swett said there were about 40 children in grades first through eighth at the camp, but they were all in classes and none of them witnessed the accident. The camp was open today.
Swett said parents were told of Tuesday's tragedy.