Fairmont routs Red Springs with 32-point 2nd quarter

Scott Schlaufman Sports Editor

October 18, 2013

RED SPRINGS — Last season was undoubtedly bitter for the Fairmont football team, but Friday one of those wrongs was righted.

After snapping a three-game win streak against Red Springs last season, the Golden Tornadoes got back on the winning side of the rivalry with a 40-0 shutout of the Red Devils.

“From what I hear from the guys, they beat us like this last year, so we had a little redemption,” said first-year coach Randy Ragland.

It was a win that was nothing if not dominating against the defending Three Rivers Conference champions, who have struggled on their way to an 0-7 start.

Red Springs had few chances at the endzone, with their best opportunity coming on the first offensive play of the game.

The Red Devils started with a flea flicker, tossing the ball several times in the backfield before getting it back to Blake Greene, who connected with C.J. McGeachy up the middle on a 69-yard touchdown pass. Red Springs ended up with an ineligible receiver downfield and had the play called back.

Red Springs coach George Coltharp said the play was one that the Red Devils had run against them by Fairmont previously.

“We just felt like that was an opportunity for us to make a statement and come out and go for broke and we caught it, but obviously there’s the penalty and that’s been our Achilles heel,” Coltharp said. “It’s really been indicative of the way our year’s been going.”

It was the only time the Red Devils got in the red zone as Fairmont’s defense limited yards. Blake Greene was held to 13-of-36 for 131 total yards and Red Springs’ rushing attack never got started.

Greene also missed on several long passes and had three interceptions.

“In this defense that we play you can really hope to contain (Greene) and keep him from making the big plays and keep everything in front of you,” Ragland said. “That’s what we did tonight.”

Fairmont struggled out of the gate, trading three-and-outs with Red Springs. Once they got going, the Tornadoes ravaged Red Springs’ secondary.

All 40 of Fairmont’s points were scored in an 11-minute span, starting when Jarrod Neal hit Quinton Walker with a six-yard pass with 1:26 left in the first quarter.

He then scored another touchdown two minutes later when he hit Shemar Barfield on the first of his three touchdowns and continued to score touchdowns nearly every two minutes, seemingly increasing in efficiency with each drive.

The third and fourth touchdowns, on passes to Ethan Baldwin and DeShawn Fields, were on three-play drives. The final touchdown was on a 26-yard pass to Barfield that immediately followed an interception.

Neal finished the game with 331 passing yards and all six touchdowns. His only interceptions were both picked by Greene.

“We were hitting on all cylinders on offense and our defense was clicking pretty good,” Ragland said. “The defense has really started stepping up and playing good football. I’m proud of them and the way they’ve come together.”

Fairmont 40, Red Springs 0

Fairmont 8 32 0 0 — 40

Red Springs 0 0 0 0 — 0

F — Quentin Walker 6 pass from Jarrod Neal (Barfield pass from Neal)

F — Barfield 21 pass from Neal (DeShawn Fields pass from Neal)

F — Ethan Baldwin 38 pass from Neal (Run failed)

F — Fields 65 pass from Neal (Run failed)

F — Barfield 13 pass from Neal (Run failed)

F — Barfield 26 pass from Neal (Run failed) INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

PASSING — F: Neal 22-40-2-331. RS: Greene 13-36-3-131.

RUSHING — F: C. Baldwin 7-11.

RECEIVING —F: E. Baldwin 7-85, Fields 3-83; RS — Baker 3-61, C.J. McGeachy 3-31.

RECORDS — Fairmont 7-1, 3-1; Red Springs 0-7, 0-3.