Pembroke auto shop destroyed by fire


by Sarah Willets - [email protected]



PEMBROKE — An exhaust fan appears to be the culprit behind a fire that destroyed a Pembroke auto shop on Wednesday, according to the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.

Employees spotted the fire at Dial’s Body Shop on Prospect Road at about 9:30 p.m. The blaze originated in a fan that circulates fumes from a paint booth through the ceiling and out of the roof, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Firefighters with Prospect and Pembroke fire departments arrived within seven minutes, the Sheriff’s Office said, and spent about four hours on the scene containing the fire. The scene was cleared by 11:45 a.m. Thursday, after the Sheriff’s Office, State Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms investigated.

The paint booth was in use at the time of the fire, but no serious injuries were reported. Emergency Medical Services was called to evaluate firefighters for heat exhaustion.

The body shop was built in 2006 and had been valued at $87,300.

by Sarah Willets

[email protected]

Sarah Willets can be reached at 910-816-1974 or on Twitter @Sarah_Willets.

Sarah Willets can be reached at 910-816-1974 or on Twitter @Sarah_Willets.

comments powered by Disqus