LUMBERTON — The Robeson County Veterinary Medical Association on Monday will hold a weeklong Rabies Vaccination Clinic that will include one-day stops at all 32 fire departments across the county.
During the biannual program, rabies vaccinations will be offered at a discounted price of $5 to dogs, cats and ferrets.
The discounted cost is normally $8, but the Robeson County Board of Commissioners unanimously voted last week to donate $3 for each vaccination performed during the clinic after hearing a presentation from Dr. David Brooks of Pembroke Veterinary Hospita,l who spearheads the program.
State law requires pets to be vaccinated against the deadly virus. Pets that come into contact with a rabid animal either have to be quarantined as their owner’s expense, and sometimes they end up being euthanized.
The vaccinations will be offered from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dates and locations are as follows:
• Monday at Saddletree, Red Springs, St. Pauls, Rowland and Pembroke city fire departments.
• Tuesday at Fairmont City, Parkton, Smyrna, Maxton Southeastern, Burnt Swamp-Philadelphus, Rennert and Raft Swamp fire departments.
• Wednesday at Fairmont Rural, Lumber Bridge, Lumberton Central, Prospect, Deep Branch, Big Marsh and Northwood fire departments.
• Thursday at Shannon, Britts, Whitehouse, Pembroke Rural, Smith, East Howellsville and Sterlings fire departments.
• Friday at Allenton, Queheel, Raynham-McDonald, Evans Crossroads, Orrum and Pine Terrace fire departments.
Following its rabies vaccination drive, the Robeson County Veterinary Medical Association will offer discount spay and neuter services to dogs and cats as part of its biannual SNIP initiative from Sept. 8 to Sept 18.
Veterinary clinics participating in SNIP include: Baird’s Animal Hospital in Lumberton; North End Veterinary Clinic in Lumberton; Southeastern Veterinary Hospital in Lumberton; South Robeson Veterinary Hospital in Fairmont; North Star Veterinary Hospital in Parkton; and Pembroke Veterinary Hospital in Pembroke.
For information, call Brooks at 910-521-3431.