With just today and Thursday to contribute, The Empty Stocking Fund is in need of a big finish.
Fifteen donations on Tuesday have pushed the fund’s total to almost $30,000, and we are hoping for a last-minute Christmas rush.
Today we report a $500 gift from the 1960 class of J.H. Hayswood High School, which has donated more than $3,000 to schools in Lumberton since the group organized in 2008. Active members are the Rev. Dr. Thomas Southerland, president, Bonnie Sanders, secretary, Doris Cooper, finance secretary, Sarah Smith, treasurer, Loistine Defreece, special projects coordinator, the Rev. Arister R. Hammonds, chaplain, and John Malloy, Voncile Dixon, Nettie Worley, Walter Smith, Rose Barnes, Sylvia Leach, Reginald Maultsby, Lee V. McLellan and Patricia Lesane.
Other notable gifts are from Faline Dial, a county commission candidate who honored her parents with a $500 gift, a $300 gift from Mayme Tubbs in honor of deceased class members of the Lumberton High School Class of 1963, and a $200 gift from the Robeson Rifle Guards Sons of Confederate Veterans.
We also need to do a bit of housekeeping. A gift from Bill and Sue Wester in memory of Foy Wester was incorrectly reported as being $25 in the Dec. 12 newspaper, but the donation was actually $100. Our apologies to the Westers.
There is now $29,586.60 in the fund, enough for Christmas for 591 children. There is an unreported $3,400 in matches from an anonymous benefactor, checking 68 more children off Santa’s list, but there are still 843 children who are registered for the fund who are hoping for a Christmas miracle.
The deadline to contribute is 5 p.m. Thursday, so it’s too late to use the regular mail. Donations can be made in person at our office at 2175 N. Roberts Ave. Just make the check payable to The Empty Stocking Fund.
Previous total …….$27,576.60
128. In honor of her parents, from Faline Dial….….$500
129. Anonymous……… $100
130. In memory of deceased class members of Lumberton High School Class of 1963, from Mayme Tubbs……….$300
131. In memory of Chelsea Pierce & Blaise Young, from Barry & Dianne Young…….$50
132. In memory of John Rancke Sr., from Cavin Y Corales Clapp………..$50
133. Robeson Rifle Guards Sons of Confederate Veterans…….….$200
134. In honor of Donald, Don, Charles, Richard, Mahala, Lee, Deanna, Jada, Weslee, Peggy, Eartle, CO, Kathy, Michael, Shelly…………$10
135. In memory of Andrew Cummings, Charlie Oxendine, Ishmal Oxendine, Starlie Mae Oxendine, Amy Hunt, Dustin Ransey, Brandon Odum, Dianne Wilkins, Olivia Hunt, Branlon Woodell, Kaitlyn Cummings, Corvy & Gladys Cummings, GC Cummings Jr……..$15
136. 1960 Class of former JH Hayswood High School………. $500
137. E.B. Smith…..…. $195
138. In memory of Pam Rancke, from Terry Tyndall…………$25
139. In memory of John M. Rancke Sr., from Terry Tyndall …….….$25
140. In memory of Pam Rancke, from Sarah Smith………..$25
141. In memory of John M, Rancke Sr. from Sarah Smith ……….$25
142. In memory of John M. Rancke Sr., from Gene & Joyce Douglas family.….$50
New total …………..$29,586.60