RED SPRINGS — A 1-year-old boy who was the focus of an Amber Alert Friday morning following a domestic dispute has been released into the custody of his father, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a case involving his infant son three years ago.
Nearly seven hours after an Amber Alert was issued, Jaylon Marcus Bullard was found unharmed with his mother, Candice Locklear, 21, and her boyfriend, Shamael Ellerber, 23, who had been suspected of taking the boy.
The three were found at an unclear location in Robeson County, according to Maj. Anthony Thompson, chief of detectives for the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.
According to WRAL-TV in Raleigh, the child was then released into the custory of his father, Jamie Bullard, although Thompson did not confirm Bullard has the boy.
“I was crying all morning and just worried to death about him. I’m just glad he’s back with me,” Bullard told WRAL.
Bullard was charged in Moore County in 2008 with first-degree murder and intentional child abuse inflicting serious injury in a case involving a different son, who was 7 months old at the time. Those charges were reduced to felony child abuse and involuntary manslaughter when he was convicted in 2010. Bullard served time for those offenses and remains on probation.
Bullard told WRAL that Locklear and Ellerber frequently fought. He said Locklear had gone to a neighbor’s house after an early morning altercation on Friday to call her grandmother.
Locklear took the boy with her when she fled to the neighbor’s house. Ellerber chased them, forced them into a green 2001 Chevrolet Malibu and drove away, Thompson said.
Locklear spoke out on her Facebook page, calling the ordeal “a big misunderstanding.”
“Nobody has kidnapped me or my lil’ man and thanks to the ones that cared,” she posted just after 2 p.m.
Currently, no charges have been filed in the incident.