RED SPRINGS — The American Red Cross is helping a family of six after a fire forced them from their Red Springs home on Tuesday.
The fire started on the stove in the kitchen at the 1446 Johnson Road home of Eddie and Pearlie Campbell, but was contained in that area, according to Chief Samuel Locklear of the Shannon Volunteer Fire Department. Locklear said one person suffered minor burns, and that no one else was injured.
“She had put it out,” Locklear said, “but somehow it flared back up and pretty much totaled the kitchen and there was smoke damage throughout the house.”
The electricity to the home was turned off until the damage can be repaired and the home can be deemed safe, according to Carol Ann Lentz, executive director for the Scotland County chapter of the American Red Cross.
The American Red Cross is helping the family of three adults and three children, ages 6, 8 and 10, with food and temporary housing.
Locklear estimated that about $2,500 to $5,000 damage was done to the house.
During all of 2012, the American Red Cross has helped 45 families in Robeson County and provided 198 nights of shelter for 124 people who were forced from their homes because of fire, according to Lentz.
Lentz said the American Red Cross depends on donations to provide that help. Anyone wishing to donate to the local chapter of the American Red Cross can do so by texting “redcross” to 90999 to donate $10. They can also visit www.redcross.org, or mail a check to the Lumberton Red Cross office at 600 W. Fifth St.